25 November 2004

The Flaming Stars - 'Named and Shamed'



What’s not to like about the Flaming Stars? They’re a proper garage band that play late night rock and roll music. This is music about having to much to drink, getting into a fight, crashing out and coming round somewhere unknown, about feeling you’re heroic or poetic when you’re just boozed up. This is a band that seems to be believe it’s better to have loved and lost than… pretty much anything really. It’s dark street corner music, unexpectedly hitting the pavement music, genuine down-in-the-tube-station-at-midnight music. It’s about dusting yourself down, lighting your last fag and going back out into the night. Truly, this is the music you’re supposed to use the description ‘urban’ for. That there’s a song on here called Spilled Your Pint says it all.

I saw them once, lured partly by a flyer that read: ‘Arrive drunk. Get drunker.’ This seemed sound advice, so I did, and they were wonderful. Over the years they’ve put out a fair few records, all with pulp fiction style covers and usually showing signs of weak resistance to a punning title (I always liked Bring Me The Rest Of Alfredo Garcia). The new one’s a classic example of what they do: instantly recognisable, filled with their usual dark poetry and low, rumbling music that’s somehow taut and loose at the same time. I suspect that if they were American and hung around with the White Stripes, or if they were a bit younger and were mates of the Libertines, you’d have this record by now.

The record is out on Vinyl Japan UK, a label I always liked the name of, and the band's website is here - www.oslater.demon.co.uk.

9 comments:

gardenideas said...

Have you ever seen Asparagus this BIG
They grow up to 15in long and 2in wide.
asparagus plant

gardenideas said...

Hi, I was just surfing and found your nice blog! If you are interested, go see my how to grow asparagus related site. It is very different than the other asparagus.

Cassietita said...

Sir Harry Wigmore of Wigmore Street - Not exactly what I was looking for, was looking for break up love spells. But good reads here. Will stop back to check in and see what's new.

Devon said...

Bloggerific! Ha ha. Anyhow, liked The Flaming Stars - 'Named and Shamed' and thought a stranger could say hi here. Found u and ur site when searching for hoodoo love spells fyi. Cool stuff here, thanx Sir Harry Wigmore of Wigmore Street.

Cassietita said...

Hola Sir Harry Wigmore of Wigmore Street!! I was just reading your posts and wanted to comment. I stumbled upon your Blog when I was looking for break up love spells but who knew I'd find such cool reads. I liked the The Flaming Stars - 'Named and Shamed' post, ha ha.

CassieLove said...

Hola Sir Harry Wigmore of Wigmore Street!! I was just reading your posts and wanted to comment. I stumbled upon your Blog when I was looking for quick love spells but who knew I'd find such cool reads. I liked the The Flaming Stars - 'Named and Shamed' post, ha ha.

Devon said...

Hola Sir Harry Wigmore of Wigmore Street!! I was just reading your posts and wanted to comment. I stumbled upon your Blog when I was looking for hoodoo love spells but who knew I'd find such cool reads. I liked the The Flaming Stars - 'Named and Shamed' post, ha ha.

lindaweaverfamily said...

Vegetables are great, but the Heart Start Defibrillator is better (At saving your life, that is ;) ).

Barton said...

This site gives away FREE tickets to Las Vegas shows. They have other great Las Vegas stuff including info about tony and tina’s wedding tickets Check it out tony and tina’s wedding tickets