05 February 2008

Fuck Buttons - 'Bright Tomorrow'

So, fucking Fuck Buttons, then. As I think we have by now established, there is currently an intriguing correlation between swearing and musical quality. As a rule it doesn't hold hard and fast, of course, but there would seem to be a fair degree of overlap between using what we might coyly call the f word and producing something worth listening to.

I'm increasingly told I swear too much, by the way, and occasionally make failed efforts to cut down. But swearing's as addictive as smack. At work, where I daily and increasingly interrogate the gap between effort and meaning, I have apparently infected my colleagues, and unwittingly introduced a culture of swearing which negatively impacts on the image of the organisation, or something. Like I fucking care. On one recent work trip I was advised the old swearing thing had slipped completely beyond the grasp of my control, at which point I instituted a day in which I would do my damnedest to watch my language, or each time I failed I would donate £1 to charity. This was a day in which I was excessively, maddeningly careful with my fucks. And it still cost me £25. Is there a support group I can join? Are there internet brethren I can socially network with to cure me of this ill?

Anyway, to this. It's all going along nicely enough as some kind of Spaceman Three - no, come back, but good - type of subdued drony thing, and then this ultra articificial, thin metallic guitar comes on over the top, and that's enough already to tickle the fancy of yer average Mogwai fan like me, until some bloke starts incomprehensively howling, indeed screaming, along as well. He's certainly venting, and possibly feels better for it afterwards. We may be listening to someone's catharsis here. The whole thing disappears as soon as it starts, via a quick bout of thudding drum, to leave you puzzled, wondering about meaning... but playing it again. This is all very avant-something. It's brill.

And wonderfully it's on a 7" picture disc, and as they seem to be a bit arsey about taking it off MP3 blogs which are seeking to share the good news, which I have mixed feelings about, it means you've got to go out and buy it and maybe support your struggling independent record shop in the process.

Now I may have to take time out from stalking Vampire Weekend, which is pretty much a full time job at the moment, to make good on this threat, but after this, I expect great things of this lot, and reserve the right to be disappointed and a bit disapproving if they don't go on to achieve them.

No comments: